Sunday, August 13, 2006

Gonzo Duathlon

Race: Gonzo Duathlon
Distance:
~ 5k Run - 19:05
~ 40K Bike - 1:24.05
~ 5k Run - 22:47

This was my first Duathlon and turned out to be a great race even though I flatted during the first 5 miles of the bike. I went and stayed with Friends in San Antonio and had a Cheese Steak Sandwich with fries the night before the race.

Not the best pre-race meal I have ever had, but it did not seem to interfear with my race.

My first 5k was solid and my legs felt good in the hills. The route was a large 5k loop with rolling hills. The bike route was much of the same and I got a flat during the first few miles. I probably lost 5 to 10 minutes waiting for someone to offer me a pump (my CO2 was out). It turned out to be a great ride. All the slower riders had passed me so I had a lot of catching up to do. After finishing up the bike split, the second run was a little slower than anticipated due to the punishment I put myself through to make up for lost time on the bike.

Overall, this was a great experience even though the race didn't go exactly as planned. But overcoming the unexpected is why we get out there in the first place...

No comments: